I’ve enjoyed the last few days of 2011 with this view:
I’m down in sunny Florida near Miami Beach with a group of college friends, and we’ll be ringing in 2012 at a club in South Beach. While 2011 was a good year, mostly, I am more than ready for 2012 to get here.
2011 was an interesting one. I decided to own my decisions and go for what I wanted. After much resistance, I let myself fall back in love and a few months later, got my heart broken. After two years, I got promoted at my old job. Then, the stars aligned and I started a new dream job. I ran my second NYC marathon. I ran a 5 minute half-marathon PR. I made new running friends and NYC finally started to feel a bit more like home. I closed out the year happy.
With all of these changes, good and bad, 2012 is shaping up to be a pretty good year. I have a lot to be thankful for and I’m ready for a fresh year!
About a year ago, I set out some goals for 2011. I acknowledged goals are always a work in progress, and tried to make them simple, concrete and actionable. Mid-way through 2011, I checked in to see how I was faring. Now that we’ve only got a few hours left in 2011, let’s see how I fared.
- Run a sub-1:28 half-marathon.
- Ran 1:24:23 at the NYC Half in March. Happy Birthday to me!
- Run around a 3:00 marathon.
- That was vague, way to go Lindsay. While I had really wanted to break 3:00 this year, a new 1 minute PR and 3:03 will have to count.
- Go to the gym or do “extras” 2x/week
- Was pretty good about this at the start of 2011, but definitely not consistent. Strength training is always a work in progress for me.
- Stop biting my nails!
- Fail. Let’s be honest, I’ll probably never stop completely.
- Floss regularly.
- I can say I definitely got a lot better here! Maybe not daily, but pretty frequently. Go dental hygiene.
- Do a tempo, interval or speed training once/week
- Thanks to joining CPTC, workouts became a regular part of my training again! Proud to say this was a success. In 2010, I barely did any workouts, even when training for a race.
- Eat cleaner & more fresh foods
- I definitely amped up my fruit & veggie consumption in 2011, and cut down on the junk I eat. And while it’s an ongoing struggle, I’ve also become a more mindful eater this year!
- Dismiss negative energy.
- Proud to say I’ve become a much more positive person throughout 2011. I’ve always been pretty laid back and optimistic, but for some reason I started to drift from that in 2010. 2011 brought it back!
Overall, I’d say I fared pretty well. I need a few more days to think about what I want to achieve in 2012, but I have a feeling it’ll be a good year.
How was your 2011? Did you achieve your 2011 goals/resolutions? What are you looking forward to most about 2012?