There’s No Place Like Home

December 4th, 2011 | Posted by Lindsay Runs in Blog Posts

After a whirlwind of travel the past few weeks, I’m finally home in NYC! Aside from last night, I’ve slept in my own bed a total of 1 night since November 15th. Last night, I slept like a rock even though I didn’t get to bed until 2 a.m.

So, where oh where have I been the past few weeks? Let’s see…

• Chandler, AZ

Yes, I even got to ride in a hot air balloon!

• San Francisco (for Thanksgiving!)

• Toronto

Unfortunately, we didn't do much exploring in Toronto

• Dallas

White Rock Marathon Expo

One day, I will take a fabulous and exotic vacation with all my hotel and airline miles. Just you wait.

While I was at the Dallas White Rock Marathon expo for work, it was pretty much a runner’s paradise. I love marathon expos and exploring all the neat running stuff! Usually, I find the gear at most expos limited and expensive. This expo was awesome, as there was a whole section of discounted running gear, with an extra 20% off! Here are some of my finds:

Nike Pegasus 28: $72

Nike Capri Spandex: $22

Brooks tank: $13; Brooks shorts: $15

Nike tank: $4; Under Armour Thermal LS: $24

$1 throwaway gloves? Genius!! I went crazy and bought two pairs.

There is no such thing as too many running clothes. Whoops.

I’m really looking forward to being home for the rest of the month, with no plans (yet!) to travel until I go away for New Year’s. I’m headed down to Miami December 28th through January 2nd with college friends and could not be more excited for some sun and fun.

———

So, what’s been going on with running, you ask? I’ve probably run a total of 7 or 8 times since the marathon a month ago, mostly around Thanksgiving when I had a bit more time since I was on vacation. While traveling for work there was little free time between events, hanging with the team, and more work.

While exercise helps keep me sane and less lethargic (especially when traveling), I didn’t mind not having time to run as I’m not training for anything right now and I want to focus on the job. I might have to get a bit more creative, or simply wake up earlier, during Boston training when my travel schedule gets crazy again. I’ll definitely have to be a lot more flexible, that’s for sure, but I think that’ll be a good thing for me.

After thinking about my training for NYC, I realized I’m a bit OCD and controlling. Maybe to a fault. While my training plan was pretty flexible in that I only had a goal weekly mileage and 1 set workout and 1 long run ‘preplanned’, I rarely strayed off my routine and often found my thoughts too obsessive for my liking. Have to squeeze in 3 miles tonight to meet my mileage goal. Have to get to bed at this time to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Have to run this exact route because I like the terrain this way. Sometimes I can be a pretty unpleasant person if I don’t do things my way (my inner 6 year old), and that’s no way to live.

Being busy and traveling while training for Boston is going to be a challenge, but a welcome one. It’ll teach me to relax. I still want to run a fast race and gun for a PR since I’m overly competitive with myself, but I also don’t want to drive myself (or anyone else) crazy if I just can’t do it all. Maybe my long runs will have to be on Tuesdays or I can’t get to Thursday night team workouts, but I can do them solo on Friday morning. Once I have a good portion of my travel schedule, I’ll start to map it out and go from there. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, I’d really like to start running 4 days a week or so for the month of December, just to get my base up a bit before the end of the month. No stress and no plan, just running when I feel like it. While I snuck in a morning run with Nicole, Megan and Jacqui between San Fran and Toronto, I miss the bridle path and am actually pretty excited to reunite with Central Park!

And now, I’m off to catch up on everyone’s blogs since I feel out of the loop and settle back into the apartment. Enjoy your Sundays!

Where’s the best place you’ve traveled to lately? Good finds at running expos? How do you balance sticking to a training plan while remaining flexible?

When I was in my 3rd year of med school and training for a half (fall) and marathon (spring), I, at first, got really upset when I had to change around runs or skip one or two.

When I started working with the RC, she reminded me that the schedule was flexible and changing around runs wasn’t a big deal (as long as I got enough recovery time in between workouts and long runs). I guess when I heard that coming from a professional, it hit home with me. I started not to freak out if I switched a long run day or did a workout a different day (ie a day I wasn’t on call or something).

I actually asked Lauren this question last fall. Here is her answer: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/questions/2010/11/02/cant-follow-your-schedule-to-a-t/

Haven’t traveled anywhere great recently, but going to Phoenix for Christmas (well, tennis tournament, but will be there for a week or so!)

Glad you’re back!

• Sounds like you have had some crazy travels. Hopefully you get to see some of the new cities you visit. I always try to when I am traveling for work, but it doesn’t always happen.

Haven’t traveled anywhere great recently. I was in Galveston, TX a few weeks ago and it was okay.

I try to stick to a plan as much as possible as I like structure but sometimes it’s good to change it up.

welcome back!! I miss you! And, I completely relate to your being too obsessive with training and even sleeping – I was totally the same way and it didn’t even pay off in the end. Flexibility is something I really struggle with – I’ll be busier this winter/spring too, and like you I’m kind of looking forward to how it challenges me to chill the eff out.

Best place I’ve been to somewhat recently was definitely San Fran. It’s so beautiful and such a great city. I’d go back in a second! Glad you got home in one piece :)

• Glad you had a good time at the White Rock. If Dallas wasn’t almost a day away, I totally would have come visited you. Work on getting the Cho people to let you come to the Houston expo…Deena will be here! :)

Best place I’ve been to recently is Nashville. I heart country music and all of my visits have been related to that (Country Music Festival, Country Music Half-Marathon). I’d love to work/live there someday.

• nicole says:

Welcome baaaack! Glad I could join you on your cameo appearance in Manhattan last week! I’ll work on finding a better midpoint meeting spot too:)

Those are awesome expo finds! I always like to dig for good running apparel at tj maxx and Marshalls; I’m often successful!

• Welcome back! I’m glad that my first CP morning run since August matched up with your schedule :) As I sit in my fluorescent-lit cubicle, I am living vicariously through your travels. Looking forward to Boston training, woo!

• Christine says:

those nike capris look amazing! $22?! whatta steal.

your new job sounds so awesome and it sounds like you’re loving it! hope all else is well!

• Those are some pretty ridiculous steals from the expo. Nice work! I like the Nike capris, the brooks tank, and the long sleeve under armor especially.
    Wish I could go for a ride in a hot air balloon, that sounds like a great time. Much more calm than going up in an airplane or a helicopter.

• Lauren says:

Welcome back!! I’m glad you had a fun (though tiring) trip! I know it must be hard not to be in your own bed for almost an entire month, but it’s really awesome that your new job takes you all over. The most “exotic” place my job sends me is to the south part of the state (real exciting).

Also glad to hear you’re taking a much needed break from running. I’ve been taking it pretty easy on the running front since MCM and it has only made me more excited for Boston training. I think relaxing a little bit during a training cycle can only do good things. I found that when I was more obsessive about getting in every workout exactly as it was written, not only was I not fun to be around but I also tended to get sick a lot easier. Looking forward to seeing how you approach training this time around!

• sofia says:

welcome back, lindsay! glad the new job is going well – it looks like a ton of fun! hopefully i’ll see ya soon :)

• Nancy says:

Wow, awesome hook up on the sweet running clothes deals! Its sad, but I get way more excited about running clothes deals than I do about every day clothes! Sounds like you have had some awesome adventures with your new job.

Welcome back to the running scene. Enjoy your month of running by feel. As far as sticking to a training plan while being flexible, I have found it easiest to pick the key workouts I need to get in every week and then be flexible as to what day I fit those workouts in based upon my varying weekly schedule. Happy Training :)

• Ali says:

“I miss the bridle path and am actually pretty excited to reunite with Central Park!”

I like what I’m reading, Lindsay. I like it a lot.

Glad you’re back in NYC and looking forward to seeing you next weekend — and perhaps sooner for a Run Date?

• I always wonder whether or not to be jealous of people who travel for work…on one hand, it’d be nice to see other parts of the country on someone else’s dime, even if that’s only limited to a morning run (if there’s time!) and dinner somewhere. On the other hand, I’m sure it can be disrupting to a normal schedule and tiring to be traveling around.

Those are some great expo finds! Sadly I usually don’t find anything too exciting at expos…

• Pingback: Race Recap: Cooper River Bridge Run 10K | Lindsay Runs