So Long Sweet Summer

September 1st, 2011 | Posted by Lindsay Runs in Blog Posts

Hello, September! Nothing like taking my third and final ‘Summer day‘ on Tuesday to remind me that summer has come to a close. Our office lets us pick one day each month as ‘Summer days’ to take off during the months of June, July and August. I didn’t really have any long weekends planned in August, so made the last minute decision to take off a random Tuesday. Because, why not?

After sleeping in (felt. so. good), drinking coffee in bed, and online shopping (whoops), I decided to head out for this week’s long run: 15 miles. Since I’m headed away this weekend, I figured I’d knock it out of the way and take advantage of the free day.

Luckily, Tuesday was one of those perfect days where it’s clear and sunny, still a bit warm but with a hint of fall crispness in the air. It’s very atypical to be able to begin a long run in August at 11:15am and not die of heat or humidity. Well planned, Lindsay.

I did around 3 miles in Riverside Park before heading over to Central Park where I zoned out and did a few Bridle Path loops, went up and around Harlem Hill, did a few lower loops, and headed back home. I started out pretty easy, and felt smooth throughout.

Overall, 7:34 pace. I’m pretty pleased with this effort, and was trying to just zone out and hit a groove without looking at my watch. I felt really smooth for the majority of the run, until I started fatiguing pretty badly the last 4-5 miles. My arms were heavy, legs even heavier, and I was feeling more and more drained. It started to become a mental battle counting down the minutes. I tried to slow the pace and just finish relaxed.

Yet, the miles kept clicking away under 7:30 even though I felt like I was going much slower. I wanted to go slower. I tried to go slower. My breathing was getting more labored and I could tell I was getting dehyrated, but I just couldn’t slow down, even after stopping at a water fountain. It was strange, and probably sounds really stupid. ‘You’re complaining about not being able to run slower?’ Yep, I am. It really confused me because my body wasn’t listening to my cues to relax; it was just running on autopilot and I finished feeling completely spent when I didn’t want to. And I didn’t like it.

———

Enough running talk. While I’m sad summer is just about over, there’s been some pretty good things going on this week, and good things to look forward to!

Source: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/asia-de-cuba-morgans

In my ongoing quest to enjoy NYC Restaurant Week (or, months) as much as possible, I headed to Asia de Cuba on Monday evening with some lovely lady friends. Since we were a party of 5, we got to split basically everything on the menu and left stuffed and happy. Yep, calamari salad, beef dumplings, chicken, salmon, coconut rice, tofu, boatload of desserts, and a few glasses of sangria is perfect long run running fuel.

<3 Calamari Salad Appetizer. Sadly, I didn't take this picture. Source: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/images/phocagallery/gallery_adc_food04.jpg

Desserts <3 Lovely camera phone quality.

And then there’s the simple pleasures.

The latte from MacchiatoI had this morning. De. lic. ious. And I’m a sucker for cute heart foam art.

One time I went to Stone Harbor and hung out with an inflatable Uncle Sam.

Heading down to Stone Harbor, NJ for the weekend. Well, actually we’ll be staying in Wildwood because every hotel in the small town of Stone Harbor was booked by the time we got around to calling. But we’ll be beaching and drinking in Stone Harbor! Dan was a lifeguard there for two summers so it’s nice to return, and we’re going down with his twin brother Sean and his girlfriend Nicole.

I <3 Beef

Sale on Ground Grass-Fed Beef at Whole Foods on Friday! I love Whole Foods, but tend to just buy specialty items or 365 Organic Brand there since it’s a bit $$$ for my everyday groceries. I also don’t tend to buy fancy grass-fed beef, but for $4.99 I’ll stock up on the good stuff and pile up the freezer before heading out of town! Here’s more about grass-fed beef from Whole Foods.

What was the best run you had this week? What was your favorite thing this week? Are you happy summer is coming to a close, or would you rather turn back time and have it be June again? While I’m a bit sad that it’s not nearly light out as late, and I didn’t get to do as much rooftop drinking this summer as I’d like, I’m kinda ready for fall. And pumpkin spice lattes. And the NYC Marathon, I guess…

• Ali says:

Way to throw down with the 15-miler! I know, I know, you wanted to go slower, but that’s a badass pace, my friend. Well done. Give me some of your speediness, por favor!

And yeah, I’ll say it: you look smokin’ hot in the picture with Uncle Sam. I don’t think that’s weird to tell you because it’s what everyone is thinking. #girlcrush

(Sometimes I use hash tags places other than Twitter. I can’t help it.)

Have fun on your getaway!

My friend, Jess, was complaining about the same thing yesterday – basically being a running metronome sometimes. Don’t worry, you wanna learn to slow down? I am HAPPY to show you! :)

Best run may have been yesterday – I felt a little sugar-drop for the first half (didn’t eat before) but then started to feel better the 2nd half and dropped some miles <8:30 and one at MP, which was exciting because I wasn't "trying" to run fast or anything, just try to let whatever pace was happening that day happen.

I've loved summer once I got to enjoy it. I do not want to go back to June though, seeing as I was still a 3rd year and on my surgery rotation aka 6 am rounds! :)

Enjoy your weekend!

oh wait forgot to mention – I do love fall. I loved it more back at home because I like nr the mtns so my town looks like an LL Bean catalog and its beautiful. I love fall weather crispness. I felt this was vitally important to re-comment, obviously :)

• Oooh, I just blogged about the fall and how much I love things like pumpkin spice lattes! Love.

If you love macchiatos or lattes and the such, you HAVE to try Kaffe 1668 in Tribeca. Their coffees/espressos/etc are AMAZING.

Loving the new layout of your site, by the way!

• Celia says:

Nice long run! Jealous of your LR pace! Usually when I feel tired and when I am slowing down..I am in fact slowing down…tell me your secrets!!! My best run this week was my speed workout. Did Yasso 800s the fastest I have ever done them and felt great :)

It is always a little sad to see summer go. It has been a good one. Yet I am excited for fall and cooler weather..and more marathons :)

great long run speedy! I have to say, I’m kind of excited for fall… and pumpkin spice lattes and the NYC marathon. And fall shopping! Thank you again for reminding me of excellent Whole Foods deals :)

Hope you have a great long weekend!

• Nice 15 miles! I’ve been having the opposite problem, in that I can NOT seem to pick up my pace at ALL. My last run it felt like I was pushing so hard and flying, but nope, not at all. I am ready for fall I think. It’s my favorite season in generally and for running!

• sarah says:

Oh my God! I don’t think I realized how mega your Tuesday long run was. Hot damn. Nice work. And yes, I absolutely know what you are talking about with the can’t-slow-down feeling. I’ve had multiple unpleasant runs during which I am clicking off the miles and trying to cool the pace, but just unable. Or unwilling. Or both.

• Corey says:

You are so speedy! That is an awesome 15 miler, Lindsay! As I read you talk about being on autopilot and not being able to slow down, it brought me back to some of my best runs where everything just fell into place and I knew I would be able to hold my pace for a long time. I love those days!!

• Christine says:

Solid long run! You are amazing!

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend away! We all need to get together sooooooon.

• Page says:

Looks like you are taking full advantage of restaurant week! And I have that same bathingsuit…Victoria’s Secret!?! Look super cute on you!

• I am more than a little bummed about the end of summer…I do love certain things about fall (apples, pumpkins, better running weather!), but it’s hard to let go of my favorite season. Womp, womp. Anyway – I followed your tweets over the weekend and it sounds like you had an awesome Labor Day. I’m always so impressed with your mid-week long runs. Nice job on the 15-miler!

• Pingback: Cutting Back | Lindsay Runs

• Jane says:

Hi Lindsay,
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Stone Harbor to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane