Happy Friday, everyone! I wish I was outdoors drinking margaritas or enjoying this gorgeous 70 degree day we had here in NYC, but alas I’m indoors resting up for the NYC Half-Marathon on Sunday! I did enjoy coming home, cooking myself a great dinner, and finally having time to catch up on the finale of The Bachelor. Because I don’t live under a rock, I know who wins, but I am still excited to watch it all!
Because I am trying my best to stay positive before race day, I’m going to make a quick list of the best things about this week!
1. Hosting “Cooking Club” at my apartment
I talked a bit about cooking delicious treats for cooking club earlier this week and pulled off hosting 8 other people in my tiny NYC apartment successfully! I had enough room for everyone to sit, and more impressively, enough dishware, plates, glasses, utensils, etc. I had never actually hosted a dinner or entertained at my apartment and it was a fun treat
2. Daylight Savings Time!
With daylight savings time taking effect, it has actually been light outside when I leave the office between 6-7! Even though it may be the same time, there is something more uplifting about seeing daylight when I step outside. This makes it 10x easier for me to want to do things after work instead of heading straight home and changing into sweatpants and eating dinner on the couch.
3. Change of Pace: Running After Work
The week before a race, I like to keep my schedule a little lighter and not really make plans after work or stay too late at the office if I absolutely don’t have to. I also like to get a little extra sleep, so instead of waking up at 6:45am to get my run in, I sleep in that extra hour and run after work. Being light out after work has helped tremendously, too. On Thursday, instead of binge drinking green beer, I met up with my friend Terence for a nice 6 mile run along the East River, and then did a pilates class at NYSC with my friend Angela. It felt so good to be a bit more active after work; though I love my morning miles, it was nice to catch up with Terence for a nice run (in shorts!!) as the sun slowly set (how romantic!)
4. Tortilla Wraps & Quesadillas
I recently stocked up on a few packs of whole wheat tortillas, so lately I’ve been on a tortilla frenzy making up wraps and quesadillas every day. Here are my two favorites from this week!
Seafood Medley Wrap with Avocado, Mango & Tomato Salsa
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Seafood Blend (Shrimp, Scallops, Calamari)- or any meat you’d like!
- Olive Oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 mango
- 2 tomatoes
- Dollop plain greek yogurt
- Whole wheat tortilla
Makes 2, plus a little extra “salsa”
- Sautee the frozen seafood blend (or just shrimp, or chicken or meat of your choice) in a pan with olive oil, garlic and cilantro until cooked through
- In a food processor or blender (or hand chop), slowly blend together a sliced mango, sliced avocado, and sliced tomato to create a fruit salsa
- Place fruit salsa into tortilla and mix in seafood, and top with a dollop of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) and ENJOY!
Black Bean, Mushroom and Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 cup black beans, canned or cooked
- 1/4 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Drizzle olive oil
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Sautee mushrooms in olive oil
- Place black beans and cooked mushrooms into tortilla, sprinkling cheese on top of mixins
- Fold over tortilla in half to create half circle shape and melt ingredients together in pan over stove, browning tortilla in pan
- Once cheese is melted, remove from pan, cut in half and enjoy!
This recipe was super easy, and really delicious! I am loving how versatile tortillas are for quick dinners or lunches.
5. A sunny forecast for race morning!
Though it’s a bit chillier than I’d like, at least it’ll be sunny without a hint of rain! Now the only dilemma: what to wear…I wanted to wear shorts and a dri-fit shirt but am afraid I’ll be too cold!
What are some of the best things about your week? What do you love to put in wraps? I’m always looking for different things, mine always seem to have a mexican twist…